Braun Silk Expert vs. Philips Lumea, Which of these IPL Systems Is For You?
What Is IPL Hair Removing And How Does It Work?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light, and it’s a technology used to permanently reduce and remove unwanted hair from the body. This technology works to target the melanin in the hair follicle underneath the skin, which helps break the cycle of the hair’s regrowth. As you continue to use this treatment, it will eventually stop the hair from reaching the surface of the skin.
The IPL hair removal system works by placing the device on the body area you want to target and pressing a button which will release a light pulse targeting the hair follicle in that area. You continue to work on different areas of your body and repeat the process over a period of time until you see the desired results. It usually takes over 4 weeks to see real results, and once you notice hair growth has stopped, you’ll only have to do this process as a maintenance.
There are many IPL Hair Removal systems for home use available on the market today, and we chose to review and compare the Braun Silk Expert and Philips Lumea as both are currently the best selling devices.
Is IPL Treatment Safe To Use at Home?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to use on your skin. The devices we’re featuring in this post don’t require you to wear goggles as they only flash when they come in full contact with your skin. They also automatically adapt to the tone of your skin to provide with the correct light pulse intensity.
Will IPL Give Me Permanent Hair Removal? What To Expect?
No, these systems are made to give you permanent hair reduction. This means that after doing the treatment, you’ll notice visible hair reduction, little to no hair growth and if new hair growth occurs, it will be thin and no longer coarse.
Will It Work For Me?
Before you decide on an IPL system, you have to check the chart for compatible skin tones for each device to make sure it will work on your skin and hair tone. Read on for more information on this.
Top Rated IPL Hair Removal Systems for Home:
Features of the Braun (Gillette Venus) Silk Expert IPL Body Hair Removal System:
- Clinically tested for permanent hair reduction.
- SensoAdapt sensor technology automatically adapts to your skin tone to ensure the right light intensity.
- The fastest IPL technology, allows you to treat a leg or an arm in just 8 minutes.
- Provides 120,000 flashes, equivalent to full body treatments for up to 6 years, or up to 14 years on smaller treatment areas such as the lower legs and underarms.
- Does NOT require any flash replacements, gels or any other separate purchases.
- Requires no batteries or charging. Works on full power corded for uninterrupted treatment.
- Gentle mode provides lower light intensity for first time users or sensitive areas such as bikini line.
- Glide mode for continuous use on large body areas makes the treatment a lot faster.
- Includes a Gillette Venus Razor (Package Model 5001) or a Braun Body Exfoliating Brush (Package Model 5009)
- Smart phone application available for iOS and Android devices helps guide you through the process, schedule your treatments and reminds you of future treatments.
Skin Tone Chart:
Features of the Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System:
- Delivers up to 100,000 flashes for 4+ years of full body treatments.
- Choose from 5 light strength settings for different skin types.
- Skin tone sensor detects your skin tone at the beginning of the session or during to ensure you have the right light setting for your skin tone.
- Slide and Flash mode offers continuous flashing for large body areas.
- Provides up to 75% hair reduction after only 2 months or 4 treatments.
- Uses corded power, does not require charging.
- No flash replacements required.
- Application times range from 1-1.5 minutes for armpits and bikini lines to 11 minutes for the lower leg area.
Skin Tone Chart:
What Is The Difference Between Silk Expert vs. Philips Lumea?
Image Title Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System, professional results at home Gillette Venus Silk-expert IPL 5001 (Intense Pulsed Light) Body Hair Removal System, powered by Braun, with Gillette Venus Razor Feature High performance lamp
Delivers > 100,000 flashes for 4+ years of full body treatments, no replacement lamps needed
Provides up to 75% hair reduction after only 2 months or 4 treatments
Prevents hair regrowth providing long term hair reduction for long-lasting smoothness
Developed with dermatologists and tested over 2,000 women
Gentle, effective and suitable for different hair and skin tones. Includes skin tone sensor.
Inspired by professional salons, Venus Silk-expert Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is clinically tested for permanent hair reductionCD3028 study conducted 07/08/2013-11/14/2014
The safest IPL-technology: the unique SensoAdapt skin tone sensor always ensures the right light intensity, for the safest, most effective treatment.
The fastest IPL technology allowing you to treat a leg or arm in just 8 minutes, without compromising on effectiveness.
94% of women experienced noticeable results after just 3 months. 89% of women experienced noticeable visible hair reduction, even 12 months after the last treatment.
No hidden costs for gels, replacement cartridges or safety glasses. The device is safe and clinically tested for use without glasses.
Reviews Read Reviews Read Reviews Link More Info More Info
Number of Delivered Flashes:
Now, this is a very important feature to note. In older models of IPL systems, you had to buy replacement flashes to continue using your device. This added additional costs to your initial purchase, which isn’t something that anyone wants.
- In the Braun Silk Expert and Philips Lumea, there are no additional costs for replacement parts. You get to use the device for several years until all flashes are used up.
- In Silk Expert, the device delivers up to 120,000 flashes, which rounds up to 6 years of use.
- In Philips Lumea, it delivers up to 100,000 flashes, which is over 4 years of use.
The Skin Tone Sensor:
- With Silk Expert, the skin tone sensor automatically detects your skin tone and adjusts the right light intensity accordingly, which takes the guess work out for you.
- With Lumea, the Skin Tone Sensor is more of a safety feature. You manually choose from 5 light energy levels and the skin tone sensor will detect your tone at the beginning of the treatment, if it detects a darker shade, it will automatically shut off the pulses.
- The Silk Expert has Gentle Mode which is used for first time use and for sensitive areas. And Glide Mode which will allow you to continuously treat large body areas.
- The Lumea doesn’t have a gentle mode, but you can manually choose the lowest settings for sensitive areas. It has Slide and Flash mode for continuous use.
- The Philips Lumea is more compact in size.
- The Silk Expert is larger in size, but has an ergonomic design that makes it more comfortable to hold.
- The Braun Silk Expert is available in two packages (available at different prices), one includes a Gillette Venus razor (as the treatment requires that you shave before you start), and the second package comes with a Braun body exfoliating brush.
- Philips Lumea doesn’t include any accessories.
Which One Should You Buy?
It’s only natural that your decision might be affected by your budget. The Braun Silk Expert is rather expensive in comparison to the Philips Lumea. So, is it worth it that you spend more on your IPL device?
We believe that the Silk Expert is absolutely worth it for so many reasons:
- It delivers more flashes, giving you an expected 2 extra years over the Lumea, which means 6 years of use for full body treatment.
- The skin tone sensor is more advanced. SensoAdapt technology means you don’t have to guess which light energy setting to use, it automatically chooses the setting for you based on your skin tone. What does this mean for you? Safer use and better results.
- Silk Expert is quicker to use. In fact, it is currently the quickest IPL technology available for home use (as of November 2016).
- The smart phone application is a huge plus. You might think this is just an extra perk, but it will make a huge difference in how you use your device. Since this is an ongoing treatment, you don’t want to forget your next treatment, or when you applied the treatment last and where to go next. The app helps you exactly with this.
Video Demos and Reviews:
Review of Silk Expert IPL System:
Philips Lumea IPL Review:
- Activity Wristbands
- Air Purifiers
- Bed Mattresses
- Blood Pressure Monitors
- Body Composition Monitors
- Electric Flossers
- Electric Shavers
- Electric Toothbrushes
- Facial Cleansing Systems
- Heart Rate Monitors
- Home and Office Health Gear
- IPL Hair Removal Systems
- Light Therapy Boxes
- Mattress Pads
- Medication Management
- Smart Sleep Monitors
- Ultrasonic Humidifiers
- WiFi Body Scales